Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tour de Snow

Who can resist a snow ride when it could be the last of the winter. 5 inches of icy powder last night. Ok, so my Trek with 2.1 inch tires isn't the best snow bike. I managed to keep it in a truck tire track going down the lane, handlebars wobbling back and forth as I tried to gain speed. I must have looked like a 7 year old on a first ride. When I cut off the lane into the field, my momentum slowed and I stood on the pedals only to have my back tire spin. I needed some ass weight on the seat to make the back tire grip. This was a workout better than a 10 mile road ride. I pondered the idea of competitive winter bike racing and came up with the following Top 10 Reasons the Tour de France isn't in the winter:

1. Skinny tires don't work well in snow.
2. Lance Armstrong is from Texas
3. Frozen water bottles being handed to passing riders can be used as weapons.
4. Spandex shorts are preferable to spandex tights.
5. A huge yellow down parka is not as cool as a yellow jersey.
6. Podium women dress better in the summer.
7. Tour organizers don't like contestants nicknamed after fruit (i.e. Tomato) (yes, the tomato is a fruit).
8. Dousing winners with hot mulled cider may cause 2nd degree burns.
9. Bike helmets look better.....err..never look good.
10. Wine and cheese is better served at warmer temperatures.

No comments: