Saturday, June 4, 2011

Memorial Day Road Ride with Tyler

Monday was really hot and everyone knows that I don't like hot weather. I tend to make that clear to the point of annoyance. On the Eastern Shore of Maryland we can run the heater one day and be turning on the AC the next. So with this past Monday being in the mid 90's, we wanted to get an early start to our long discussed and planned father/son bike ride. Early for us was 10 AM. I was ready to go in my bike shorts, "Wisconsin, Smell the Dairy Air" t-shirt and Red Coleman Cooler helmet. Tyler showed up in shorts and a white button down. He added the helmet after slipping off the pedals and realizing that sneakers on clipless pedals could be hazardous.  We headed out our usual route and encountered little traffic.The air was thick and hot. As I pedaled along, the sweat was quickly forming on my arms but the wind created by our 20 mph speed kept us cool enough. Breathing was a different story and my lungs felt cheated when I breathed in the hot humid air. We stopped once for a picture and were immediately attacked by deer flys. The deer fly is a terrorist. When fighting a deer fly one thing is certain, one of you will die. So being the more intelligent species we did the smart thing, we got on our bikes and ran. Once we got out to the main highway, Tyler said he wanted to see how fast he could go since he hadn't ridden for a while. Although I was trying to keep up, he was quickly putting large stretches of road between us. I'd say he's still got the biking mojo.

1 comment:

Clare said...

Glad you had your father-son bike ride, but in that humidity I would have reneged. I hope Tyler doesn't wait for trouble to happen before wearing his helmet up here.