Tuesday, April 3, 2012

It's time to move on and other rantings of a burned out home remodeler

I do enjoy a good remodeling project and the satisfaction of accomplishment. And a cool tool makes me smile. But do I really want my legacy to be: "He was always working on his house. It was swell"

This is the last bike ride I took. It's a good thing I have a blog or I might not even remember that I actually ride bikes. Well, tripping over them in the basement on a weekly basis does serve to jog the old gray matter. That's how occupied I've been with "The Mother of All Projects". I got some cool bike gear for Christmas. I used the winter bike pants once. Admittedly this hasn't been much of a winter here in Maryland. The bike pants provided an experience that was more like a cult sweat lodge cleansing than a fun winter ride. And I used the cool Nashbar bike tool set that Irma gave me to dismantle her Trek. I find that dismantling things is one of my skills. I even made my own headset bearing removal tool out of a piece galvanized conduit. I was so proud, it looked just like the $30 Park Tool. But walking by 2 buckets of bike components for the past 3 months has made me realize that it's time to get motivated about something other than home remodeling. And the wife wants her bike back.



I have a friend at work that wants me to run the Baltimore Running Festival 5K with him next fall. He referred me to a link on coolrunning.com. The Couch to 5K Running Plan promises to whip your lazy butt into 5K shape in just 9 weeks. Now I never was a "couch" type. My family knows I can't sit still for much more than an hour before I'm shaking out new trash bags. I even turned off the final episode of Lord of the Rings with 60 minutes left to watch. But I have been considering the idea of running. As much as I like biking, it will never be the cardio workout that running is. So only time will tell if the knees will hold up enough for this endeavor.

I tried a Clif Bar the other day. I have to say, if rock climbers like eating turds, that's one sport I will avoid.

Lastly, I'm in need of an adventure. Nothing like "Into the Wild" starve to death type adventure. I recently bought some gear and what good is gear if you don't use it. I'm thinking short bike touring/camping trip. Maybe in Pennsylvania. Maybe I'll bike through Amish country and help them bale hay or bake pies.
Any takers?

3 comments:

Irma Victorius said...

It is definitely time for you to get back on that bike...and use that tent! If I had a working bike, I'd go with you! ;-)

Tyler V said...

I'm always up for pie.

Cathy V said...

If your pie is as good as your cake, I say go for pie baking!! And, white chocolate macadamia cliff bars are pretty decent.