Monday, November 21, 2011

Mother of all projects (2)

If your came here looking for my latest cycling post amusing goodness, you can find it here. Otherwise read on for update #2 on the Mother of all Projects!

If I ever needed an alternate career, home remodeling would not be it. I'm too much of a perfectionist and thusly, too slow. The drywall guy is done and I found myself adding additional drywall screws because I considered him to have been a wee bit skimpy with the fasteners. Just around the bottom close to the floor, but it still added some extra time to the project.

Over-all, he did a good job and completed my most loathed home renovation task at minimal cost.
He butted the drywall to the Hardibacker cement board I installed as tub walls and feathered the joint compound into the hardibacker. The idea is that after the Kerdi membrane and tile is installed, the difference in the planes of the 2 surfaces won't be noticeable. For those of you used to remodeling, you know that what you buy aint always what you get. A 2X4 is not 2X4. ½" drywall is ½" but ½" Hardibacker is .42". Now go figure.


The Hardibacker should be brought down to rest on the tub wall flange, not lapped over it. Then when the tile is installed make sure to spread the thinset down over the flange and bring the tile to the tub deck.

Next up: prime and paint the drywall.

Stay tuned for further updates....

2 comments:

Clare said...

I thought the old saying was "A woman's work is never done". I look forward to seeing your work of art.

Cathy said...

glad to see it's coming along and looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!!