Monday, January 17, 2011

Dogs

If you do something fun with your dogs too many times, it becomes an expectation for them. Such are weekend mornings. There is no sleeping in with dogs, unless you have the ability to sleep through whining, pacing and deep sighs of canine disappointment. I do not. It's a good thing I'm a morning person. So Saturday and Sunday, I drag myself out of bed between 6:30 and 7:00 and take them outside for a walk or a good dose of "chuckering".

The "chucker" has got Reilly's attention. She knows that in a minute I will throw it over the house.

But Patton, being the genius that he is, has already slipped to the front yard and is waiting for the highly valued toy to fall to the ground so he can grab it before the speedy Shepherd arrives. Then the tug of war ensues.

Later in the afternoon, wanting to further drain the limitless energy that Reilly has, I took them to Cliffs City. It's not really a city, actually about 6 expensive houses on a remote section of the lower Chester River, with a public boat landing and water access. Even with it being January, it was warm out, about 45 degrees, and I was hoping that the ice would be melted by the landing so they could swim.

When your dogs need a bath in January, you have to use what ever means are available.

It really is beautiful out here.

After a good swim and a run in the sand, and another swim, we headed back to the "dog car" (my corolla, sorry Cathy). In they go in their dripping wet glory and settle for the ride home, noses to the cracked windows so they can sample the county air as we pass the fields and woods of Kent County.

2 comments:

Cathy Victorius said...

love the pics of the dogs and I am honored that the corolla is the dog car! I couldn't think of a better use for it.

THe country side is beautiful and I'm sure Patton and Reilly enjoy taking a dip, also washes the stink off them.

Irma said...

Cathy, they exchange one "stink" for another. lol