Sunday, January 30, 2011

Schooled by the snow

When it comes to snow biking, I am a complete novice. My snow biking efforts this winter have been great fun. I love getting out on 2 wheels in the cold and snow, sure beats going to the mall or watching re-runs of Walker Texas Ranger. So I was really looking forward to gearing up today and toughing it through the 6 inches of snow that we got three days ago. I headed down the field lane and cut left into the untouched snow covered trail. But the 45 ° temps we had today had turned the snow into mostly slush and my forward progress stopped like I was on roller skates at the beach. I guess my 2.1 inch wide tires are not well suited for snow any deeper than about 4 inches and definitely not slush. In Alaska, they ride on bike tires that are 4 inches wide, the biking equivalent of a Monster Truck. So I settled for a mud ride and took off up and down the lane, hitting every puddle and mud hole like an 8 year old that had been told to keep his Sunday best clean.

Nothing completes a Sunday like getting dirty on a bike.

1 comment:

Tyler said...

I hope you dried and oiled your chain after that!