Friday, March 11, 2011

Bike ride therapy

If you're in a funk, a good bike ride will usually help to get you out of it. If it's 45 degrees and the wind is blowing 25 mph, all the better. There is something satisfying about facing down a good cold blow on a bike.

On Tuesday I was home while it was still light out and decided I needed a good road ride to blow the cobwebs out. I headed for my usual route which was about 2 miles of flat eastern shore road and then 3 laps of the local "hill". Around here, a hill is anything that is a 10% grade for more than 20 feet. Pathetic by any standard across the bay or north of the mason-dixon line. To make the ride as challanging as possible, I leave roadie in high gear and stand on the pedals to the top of the hill. It makes for a good leg pump.

After returning to my lane, I decided to keep going down Truslow Road to the end. I'm hitting a downhill grade and pass a local guy that I always see walking his dog on the road. But I'm unable to ellicit a return wave as I blast by him at 25 mph in my Coleman Cooler helmet and face mask, waving a friendly hello with my gloved hand. Bikers are so misunderstood!

No comments: