Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bikes and Taxes

Yesterday after we spent a nice weekend visit with my sister, I decided it was time to start working on the taxes. So with hopeful anticipation of a much needed refund, I got out all the documents and logged on to the H&R Block website and began the yearly ritual. After about 4 hours of data entry, research, minor swearing and sighs of disbelief, I came to grips with the reality that our deductions had graduated and left home. So it turns out now that the Feds want 10% of my gross income.

"It would be a hard government that should tax its people one-tenth part of their income."
- Benjamin Franklin

Welcome to reality folks, and it ain't gonna get any better with a 14 trillion national debt.
For a real scare, visit this site.

"I'm going for a bike ride" I said to my wife. "Good" she replied, sensing the need.
I took off heading east, planning one of my 5 mile round trip routes, but when I hit the half way point, I just kept going. I was just getting to the nice farmland roads, wheat fields greening up in the early spring, a fresh smell to the air but still a chill from a just completed winter.

Perfect weather for a ride.
The 2 lane road was all but deserted as I cranked for several miles further, mulling over in my head the tax predicament and trying to come up with an additional $850.

I finally turned around at a white barn set against a hill of green winter wheat.
When I was just about home, the solution came to me.
I'll mail them a toilet seat. They can even keep the change.
Bike rides really do wonders for the thought process!

No comments: