Saturday, July 23, 2011

Summer Morning Ride

All week long I've been subjected to forced sweating to accommodate archaic business dress requirements.

 The forecast for today was 102°. I've wanted to ride my bike for a while but have been denied by home projects and unhealthy weather. This morning I left the house on "Roadie" at 6:30 AM. It was already a dripping 86°. I put a Gatorade in my bottle holder and headed out the lane. Halfway down the lane I shifted the front derailleur to the big ring and the chain immediately went completely off and wrapped around my right crank. I put it back on but my hand was then covered with black grease. I road back to the house to clean up and put some paper towels in my bag. The more I ride, I realize that I need to get better at bicycle maintenance and have the proper tools and parts with me in the event of a breakdown away from home. Right now my only plan is a cell phone to call Irma to come and get me. Not very self sufficient.

"Let's try this again", I said to myself as I headed down the lane. Even though it was already hot, once I got moving the air over my body made it feel pretty nice and the sun wasn't up enough yet to be that hot.
The roads were typically empty for a Saturday morning and I got a feeling of satisfaction knowing that I had battled the pull of the bed when the alarm went off an was now enjoying my reward. I rode down my quiet familiar country roads, enjoying the sights, smells and sounds of a summer morning.

Despite the morning haze, the sun over the dry corn field announced it's intentions for the rest of the day.

Every field irrigation I passed was running, as if in a battle of taunts with the sun over the fate of the crop in the field. I was tempted to ride through the manufactured "rain" falling on the road but I wasn't that hot yet and decided to wait for the sprinkler to turn before proceeding.

Today I had in mind to extend my ride across 544 and down to Union Church Road, adding another 4 miles to my 11 mile route. In my younger days I could ride 50 miles after school in blue jeans and not give it a second thought. Now I'm trying to gradually build up my endurance and acclimate my knees to longer mileage rides. I have big plans for myself. A weekend bike packing trip this fall with my son, and hopefully someday riding out west. My dream ride is the Colorado Trail, 500 miles from Denver to Durango. Some day, and not when it's 100° out.

But today, I was sweating for a good cause.


2 comments:

Cathy said...

LIKE!!

Clare said...

This was fun? Glad you took along Gatorade.