Thursday, August 4, 2011

Wet and muddy bliss

 My cheap Trek 820 bounced like a check from a government in default as I navigated the roots and potholes of Sam's woods. The air was thick with moisture and the lush grass on the path was covered with plump drops of the days rain. As I pushed through the thick eastern shore vegetation the water on the leaves exploded towards my feet and legs drenching them in minutes. But I didn't care, June and July had been so hot and dry that I was relishing in the swim.

Today was the day we were supposed to go to the beach. We've been vacationing all week with our son and daughter-in-law. The weather reported partly cloudy and when the alarm went off at 7:00 it was still overcast. Sitting on the wet sand in the clouds didn't excite us so we postponed the trip until tomorrow. After accomplishing all the inside tasks I had lined up, I was ready to get out for a while. With a good drizzle starting I decided it was time for a woods ride.

Sam's woods is not that big but with some imagination, you can combine a variety of circular routes and still feel like you've ridden a good trail. Wildlife is abundant, I scored a meeting with 7 wild turkeys, a groundhog and more than a few deer. It supplied me with gulleys, large roots, fallen trees and numerous mud puddles.

Sam is a conservationist. He could easily sell the property for houses but prefers to maintain it for the benefit of hunters and outdoor enthusiasts. He manages a healthy game population and provides a sanctuary for birds and other wildlife species. Today I was grateful that he allowed me to add my mountain bike tracks to the muddy trail.

2 comments:

Clare said...

Excellent writing and a good story. Where are Sam's woods?

Cathy said...

Thank You Sam. There are two many "executive"developments and not enough woods.