Friday, November 9, 2012

Being a modest cyclist

I let my subscription to Mountain Bike Action expire.
The reality is that I couldn't relate. Despite the parade of riders in $200 spandex outfits, the issue they sent me featured reviews of 3 really nice mountain bikes...all of them priced at over $5000 dollars. 
Really?
I might as well have been reading Yachting magazine.

Living in a flat rural area, road biking is both popular and fun. I'm usually sharing the road with other bikers.
I have to admit, my level of gear envy sometimes increases when I pass "well dressed" biking types.

This is my typical winter biking apparel:

Decked out with 1980's sweat pants, worn running shoes, face mask and over-sized foam helmet. 
I think the sunglasses add a few cool points. Or at least make me harder to recognize.

The other day I was passed by this guy:

This shows the extremes of how people approach the sport.
Personally I would rather strap a plastic bag of packing peanuts to my head than be seen in one of these aero-helmets.

When I'm passed buy a group a sleek drafting racers, I'm this guy:

But despite the disparity of gear, he's having fun just like me.

In England the cyclists dress like this:

I'm actually envious of this chap. Nothing complements tweed like a pipe and goggles.

But the more I bike, the less I desire additional gear.

What really matters is having fun and staying safe.
If I need additional gear to achieve that, I'll buy it.
Until then, get used to the Coleman Cooler helmet, folks!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Clothes do not make the man! Enjoy the ride and "may the wind be at your back" Love, Mom