Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sometimes it just takes a ride

After much preparation, we did make it through hurricane Sandy without any damage. I enjoy a day off from work as much as the next person, but when the government closed Monday and Tuesday I had to use my vacation days to cover it. Thanks, Sandy, not only did you devastate New York and Jersey, but you used up some of my vacation!

Saturday I spent the day removing the skylight covers from the roof and cleaning up leaves from the yard. It was a good cross training work out.

Of course there are still a lot of leaves to come down and with the addition of 8 inches of rain to green the trees up, the old oaks may be holding onto what they have until Christmas.

Today I was feeling at odds with the world, one of those moods between contempt and self pity that rears it's ugly head occasionally. I knew I needed to clear my head. And what better way to do it than a good bike ride. I've been more focused on running for the past few months, but my knees were still bothering me from the work yesterday. And a bike ride would be longer than a run. I needed longer. I geared up and took off.

The air was cool and brisk, but felt good as I cut through it with a strong effort.
The now harvested fields glowed in the late afternoon sun.

A soybean field up close displays the many small brown pods for harvest.
From a distance it puts on a warm earth tone, a color my wife wants to paint a wall.

The afternoon turned out to be just what I needed.
Maybe I'll even forget the political adds until after Tuesday!

2 comments:

Clare said...

I'm amazed how many leaves are still on your trees. Our branches are mostly bare. Your yard looks great.

Carl said...

Yes, the summers are so dry and the trees seem to go into a state of semi-dormancy. Then when we get these big rains in the fall, they spring back to life, trying to make up for lost time. I think the leave will be on the big oaks until Christmas.