Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Mind games

Working from home with dogs can be challenging. The paranoid shepherd jumps up and runs squealing to the door every time I move at least 5 feet from my chair. The compulsive golden licks his paw and gives me a woeful gaze and a heavy whistling sigh. He lays in his bed, head to the side, facing away, eyes turned to meet me with a dejected emptiness. He lets out another sad moan. His message is clear....

"you're home all day and you don't pat me or play with me. You hate me. Please master, just let me outside so I can go eat some dirt. I'll be happy if you'll only let me eat some dirt."

 On the scientific scale of canine intelligence, shepherds are supposed to be #3 and golden retrievers #4. Clearly I was facing a full frontal guilt assault by one of the smartest creatures next to us humans.
What makes dogs our best friend is the fact that they are able to read our emotions so well. And Patton knows me, he knows how I feel guilty and he knows how to play my emotions.

So how did I respond to this mental challenge?

I went running!

 It was a beautiful afternoon and I don't get to run during the week anymore since the days got shorter.
A while back I started the Couch to 5K running plan. After completing the first 3 weeks I went off on my own tangent. Results have been mixed, I was keeping up with about 1.5 miles 2 times a week, but not making any progress. Today I re-inserted myself into week 5 of the program. I also followed some advice I recently read on how to deal with knee pain. I leaned slightly forward and shortened my stride. I didn't look as cool, but it was a great run without pain. My goal is to achieve and maintain a 5K run twice a week. If I can accomplish that with 56 year old knees, I'll be thrilled.

When I got home, I chuckered the dogs.
They were happy!

2 comments:

Clare said...

Glad you are back to biking, running and blogging. And it goes without saying, chuckering!

Cathy said...

Patton and Reilly know you love them but they're smart. Patton knows if he licks his paws enough you'll feel guilty and pat him....AND....Reilly knows if she;s hyper enough you'll chucker her.

I think they deserve a promotion to #1 and #2 on the intelligence scale. DOn't worry, humans aren't far behind at #3. We're #3!!!!