Monday, November 12, 2012

Old plane revived

I recently had a conversation with my son, Ben.

Me: I decided to finally try to get that plane flying.
Ben: You mean the one that's been moved 4 times and stored in the basement for 20 years?
Me: Um, yeah....that one.

I got interested in the hobby in the mid 80's. I bought a trainer kit, balsa and plywood die cuts that required a lot of fitting, sanding, gluing and patience. Build in progress, we moved to New Jersey a the time and the I finished the build there. But I never flew the plane or even ran the engine. For a while, it hung from son Tyler's ceiling. Most of the time it was in the basement collecting dust and getting knocked around a little.

This past summer I was considering selling it. Irma said "As much as we've moved that thing, you better fly it." So that was the start of a forgotten plane revived. The right wing covering got ripped so I took it off and will replace it.

Today I got the engine running. Without a manual I turned to youtube for help.
This afternoon I clamped it to a sawhorse and got it going.

 

Hopefully I won't crash it on the first flight!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Irma's attitude. Good luck on the maiden voyage! Take pix!

Cathy said...

You are full of surprises little brother, a true Renaissance man!!

Jared said...

It's time for un update.

Clare said...

I agree with Jared,but wait for warmer weather!